6.24.2009

not the longest chopstick in the bunch.

so every village has to have an idiot, right?

well, so does every large chinese city! here's my theory on why i am probably considered by locals as "not the longest chopstick in the bunch."

i look like a local. i kinda act like one too. but when i open my mouth, my vocabulary is that of a 2nd grade student (is my guess). when they start talking to me, i can't really understand what they probably consider basic language and vocab. i go, "what?" and ask for clarification. then they realize, "this girl isn't too bright. why doesn't she know what i'm talking about?" i don't really tell them i'm from the US b/c i want them to think i'm local so they won't take advantage of me. well, that becomes problemmatic b/c their expectations of me don't match my actual abilities. which leads to the conclusion: i ain't too bright.

ABCs have it tough in china. our slanted eyes and yellow skin color works against us. on one hand, i want to blend in to avoid being scammed, but i can't quite pull it off, as locals soon find out. on the other hand, if i broadcast i'm not from here, they might be more forgiving about my lack of comprehension and give better explanations of things, but they may take advantage of me.

i compare it to this: if I was in the states and this caucasian person who looks like they are from CA comes up to me and starts talking but his vocab is really poor and he doesn't really understand what i'm saying, i'm gonna think, few fries short of a happy meal, my friend? i mean, i work with those sorts of people; patients that is. :)

thus is my quandary. i am hereby the village idiot.


1 comment:

  1. hahahaha.. that's a funny post. :)

    I thoroughly enjoy reading it. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete