6.22.2009

foreigner wing? what foreigner wing?

i went to Guangci Memorial Hospital today and it supposedly had a "foreigner wing" but there was nothing foreigner about it. there were no Western doctors, the chinese doc i had spoke some english but didn't communicate in english with me and all the patients were chinese. it was a typical chinese hospital. ok i saw one white guy. it was so hard to find, the taxi driver dropped me off somewhere far and random and it was like 50000% humidity today and i was trekking around in it. then the dr told me things i already knew so i insisted on yes..a colonoscopy to rule things out. she resisted, telling me bian mi is common but i said no, i am concerned it's more. the grand total would be a little over 3ooo rmb, which is much cheaper than US prices but i would be anesthetized and i don't trust them with my lifeless body. after much deliberation, i decided to go elsewhere where i can understand the procedures, the doctor and hopefully get non local care and a 3rd opinion. i'm trying not to be elitest and trying to be a local but it's my colon and i want to know everything that will happen and be extra clear before leaving my life and butt in their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment