6.08.2009

my first Chinese book.


i was so excited to get my first Chinese book to begin my home study program. After much searching, I found the perfect book: it has pinyin, English translations and Chinese characters. This way I can recognize the characters, know what they are saying, and pronounce them. It was cool cus i recognized alot of the characters i used to know. I found it at the local bookstore, XinHua, which is likened to Border's or Barnes and Nobles and carries Chinese and some English books. I have finished the Name and Greeting sections. The book is divided into 4 parts. There is even a CD included where they read the sentences aloud. It is done by professional Chinese announcers. I like how at the end there is a "Reading column" with Chinese proverbs and riddles. I feel a bit embarassed that I had to purchase a Chinese for Foreigners book but technically, I AM a foreigner, right? It was funny at the bookstore b/c I was elbow to elbow with this 5 or 6 year old in the children's section. Her parents were trying to pick out a book for her in the same section I was trying to find a book. There was one copy left of something I wanted and they were looking at it too. Back off of my book, kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment