8.01.2009

SH Science and Technology Museum area and Century Park.







i could veg out here allllllllll day...if it was cooler. :)
the swamp


water wheel thing, which i couldn't get enough of.


the stream











chillin.














Yesterday, after lunch, I decided to stay on line 2 of the metro and explore Pudong, known as the "east side." It's not that it's hard to get to, or even very far, but I am less inclined to go all the way over there for some reason, b/c it just seems far, despite one metro line that takes you across the Huangpu River directly into the heart of Pudong. I decided to get off at the Science and Technology Museum stop b/c I heard there were tons of knock off items right in the subway and I wanted to see the museum architecture without actually going in. Plus I heard of a fabric market in the subway, where they custom make your clothing for reasonable prices. Well, the reason I went there became moot b/c I got bored quickly and decided to get out of the subway and wander around the outside of the museum area. I kept going and continued down the long, expansive and quite clean plaza, along Century Blvd, passing tons of very new industrial buildings, lawns, trees, smal decorative bridges then came upon Century Park, which I later learned was the largest ecological park in shanghai. I decided to go in since I was there and it was only 10rmb. There was no map to really navigate myself so I started walking. Although quite muggy and overcast, I enjoyed my walk around a very large green park full of manicured lawns, lakes, trees and mud. It was so green and calm. It was nice and quiet except for the almost deafening sounds of frogs and ciccadas chiming in synchrony. They got some pipes on em! Tons of people rented those family-pedaled bikes, which is probably the best way to get around cus of how huge the place is. Lots of family, kids, lovers and friends were taking pictures and just hanging out. The park covers 140.3 hectares and I did not cover even half (mostly b/c I did not know there was so much more than the huge lake i walked around and i was kinda tired). My faves were the Pebble Beach, the swamp, the dense tree groves, lily pads and everything green. It was a nice reprieve from the busy city scene. After about an hour of walking, I headed back into reality, where since I was travelling around 5pm on a friday afternoon, the subways were packed so tight on both lines 1 and 2, i went to my happy place, right by the water wheel at Century Park...

No comments:

Post a Comment